Courtesy PC Magazine
The long-awaited Apple Watch finally arrives on April 24, and it can be yours for just $349 (or $10,000 if you have deep pockets). But is this the gadget that finally helps smartwatches take off, or just another wrist-worn device that costs too much and does too little? If youâ€™re unsure about whether to plunk down your hard-earned cash for Appleâ€™s next big thing, hereâ€™s what you need to know about Apple Watch.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Apple Watch requires iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.2. or later.
2. Apple Watch ChargerApple iOS 8.2 adds the Apple Watch app to your iPhone, from which youâ€™ll download and organize the apps that show up on your watch, as well as customize notifications.
3. Depending on use, the Apple Watch will last for about 18 hours, so youâ€™ll need to charge each night. Snap the magnetic circular charger (right) on the inside of the watch to juice up.
4. The Digital Crown button (top left) is the watchâ€™s main button; use it to scroll, zoom, and navigate.
WHAT DOES IT DO?
5. Notifications and messaging are at the heart of Apple Watch. Rather than dig out your smartphone, glance at your wrist to see if you want to take a call, respond to a message, or read an email.
6. Apple Watch AlertsPress the display to reveal pre-set responses to messages. Or send an animated emoji or voice message.
7. Like Control Center on iOS, swipe up from the bottom of the screen on Apple Watch to see Glances, which are little snippets of information you need, like weather, maps, or music.
8. For email, read it on your wrist, flag it, mark it as read or unread, move it to the Trash, or open it on your iPhone.
9. If youâ€™re a man or woman of few words, Digital Touch lets you send a sketch, tap, or pulse to someone else who is wearing an Apple Watch. Press two fingers on the screen, and the heart-rate monitor will read and send your heartbeat.
10. Trying to meet up with someone? Apple Watch can send them your location.
11. Pay for things via Apple Pay (in the U.S.) with your wrist.
12. Apple Watch FacesApps schedule to launch on Apple Watch include Instagram, MLB.com At Bat, Nike+ Running, OpenTable, Shazam, Twitter, WeChat, and more.
13. Tap into your inner Dick Tracey by talking to your Apple Watch via Siri. Raise your wrist and say “Hey Siri,â€ or use the Digital Crown to ask a question, set a reminder, get directions, and more.
14. Pick a watch face that fits your mood or the occasion: from the traditional, watch-like face or something more akin to your smartphone lock screen to subtle animations or Mickey Mouse (click Mickey above for more watch face options).
WHAT TYPE OF ACTIVITY TRACKING DOES IT HAVE?
15. Apple Watch features an accelerometer and built-in heart rate monitor, and uses the GPS and Wiâ€‘Fi in your iPhone to measure distance.
16. Apple Watch HealthWith iOS 8.2, youâ€™ll also get a new Activity app, where fitness data from Apple Watch will be collected once you pair your phone with the watch.
17. Apple will use that data to suggest fitness goals, and congratulate you on fitness milestones.
18. Keep track of movement with three rings that chart calories burned, exercise, and how often youâ€™ve stood up. The idea is to complete a ring each day based on the nutrition and activity goals youâ€™ve set for yourself.
19. If youâ€™ve been sitting for too long, your watch will give you a little buzz to remind you to get up and move around.
20. Apple Watch Sport is $349 for the 38mm watch and $399 for the 42mm one. The fluoroelastomer Sport Band will come in five colors: white, blue, green, pink, and black.