By Becky Brewster
Culberson County Commissioners met in regular session on March 17, 2020. Judge Carlos Urias informed the Court that he has been in meetings with the Emergency Management Coordinator, the Sheriff, and the Texas Department of Emergency Management in regards to the COVID-19 protocols. He indicated that the County is also working well with other entities to mitigate the potential impact of COVID-19 in Culberson County. County Clerk Linda McDonald reported that her office will be closed to the public. Urias indicated that the Nutrition Center has suspended congregate meals and will be doing curbside or home delivery only. The Day Care Center is operating under the guidelines set forth by the Texas Health and Human Services Department. The County Tax Office is extending the deadline for automobile registration renewals by 60 days. Urias stated that the County will keep the public informed as new information is available.
Urias also informed the Court that the Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS) was finally being installed at the airport. The AWOS is a fully configurable airport weather system that provides continuous, real-time information and reports on airport weather conditions. Urias noted that there is an issue with the electrical service, and suggested that the County provide generators to power the system until all the red tape in getting the electrical service connected is completed.
The Court approved an Interlocal Cooperation Contract with the Texas Department of Public Safety for its Failure to Appear (FTA) program. This program denies the renewal of a driver’s license for failure to appear violations.
In other County business, the Court also:
- Approved construction contract with Juvenal Sandoval for work at the airport.
- Heard report on County grants.
- Acknowledged District Court order setting salaries for the County Auditor and Assistant County Auditor.
- Approved installation of a new heating unit at the Tax Office.
- Held an Executive Session regarding the Sheriff’s Office Personnel.
- Approved monthly reports.
- Heard reports on various County Projects.
- Approved monthly expenses and payroll.