By Becky Brewster
The Culberson County-Allamoore ISD Board of Trustees met in Regular Session on December 9, 2019. The Trustees reviewed and approved the District Improvement Plan for 2019-2020 which outlines five goals as follows:
- CCAISD will recruit and retain highly qualified and exceptional teachers, staff, and campus leadership.
- CCAISD will actively involve parents and community members in promoting high expectations and a supportive environment at school and home.
- CCAISD will effectively and efficiently use district resources to provide a safe school environment conducive to learning.
- CCAISD will provide an aligned curriculum and implement instructional strategies to achieve excellence in academics.
- CCAISD will provide critical project and work-based learning opportunities to prepare all students for college and career readiness.
The document further outlined Performance Objectives to achieve these goals and evaluation data sources to determine if the objectives have been met.
Trustees also discussed the probable realignment to 6-man football for the 2020 season. The high school enrollment cut-off for 11-man football is 104.9 students with the district having only 85 students in high school. Realignment is done every two years. This would have CCAISD competing against such schools as Marfa, Fort Davis, and Rankin. Trustee Michael Baeza, who was absent from the meeting, had requested that Baugh look at any means possible to remain at 11-man football. For the 2019 season, the team only had 17 members.
Principal Charles Gonzalez reviewed the District enrollment statistics noting that enrollment stands at 382 with a 94.59% attendance rate.
Athletic Director Brock Tyrrell reported on the start of basketball season noting that the Van Horn tournament will be held December 12-14, 2019 with 13 schools participating.
Superintendent Ken Baugh reported that the 2016 construction project is wrapping up with only five items left to be addressed. He further reported that the 2019 construction projects are in the works. Baugh also reported that Blue Origin had recently recorded a video on campus.
In other business, the CCAISD Board members:
Approved the 1st Quarter Investment Report.
Scheduled the next meeting for December 17, 2019 at 12 p.m.